Friday, May 8, 2009

Historical wanking (the only kind)

I note this article from the Mount Leonora Miner (a paper i much admire; a four page broadsheet that would give any Murdoch rag a run for its money) dated 12 October 1901:

“At the local Police Court on Thursday last, before Messrs Cale and Barker, Js. P., a young man, who admitted in court he was a victim of mastabation [sic], was, on medical testimony being given by Doctor Healey as to his inability to take care of himself, committed to the Fremantle Asylum.”

Heelllloooooo?

It seems to me the lad was well-versed in "taking care of himself," so I can’t see why the fuss. Also, can one really be a ‘victim’ of auto-stimulation? I guess they did things differently in them days.

Yrs in historical wonderment &c.

1 comment:

  1. Sir, I am brought to mind of a Peter Carey novel - the one where the guy with the beard steals sone's identity - in which La Protagoniste - after having a rather tiresome day - "deals with herself" before falling into a restful sleep.

    Blessings,

    Le Rev Dr

    PS: this is NOT a Sin (unless you be of The Other Faith...)

    PPS: fix up this fucking comment shit so I don't have to give out my fucking blood type to write sthg!

    ReplyDelete